Monday, April 4, 2011

Why do what I do?

Yesterday someone I know asked me just that. Why do you do what you do? Why Fred Hutchinson? At the moment I could not offer a reasonable and articulate reply and that bothered me. After pondering why live the "Life of Science", as the organisation's tagline reads I have come to the conclusion that I do what I do for a few valid reasons.

First of all, is it because of the money? Whereas people may think it is an economically rewarding opportunity, truth is I bet there are better paid jobs in the market on a for-profit organisation. My decision to come to Fred Hutchinson was based not on economical gain, rather on what do I have to offer those less fortunate. When I decided to apply for a job at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center everything that crossed  my mind at the moment was, I want to do a difference. I want to help those who fight the tiresome fight against cancer. I want to go everyday to work knowing what I do has a direct impact in their lives and that maybe at some point of my professional career here I may have the opportunity of working at the lab or research team that finds the cure against it.

Then, there is the personal gain from it all. A couple of years ago I would have cared less if I worked at a Cancer Research Center. I had no idea what NCI stands for or the NIH. In case you are wondering, Fred Hutchinson receives grants funding from the National Cancer Institutes and the National Institutes of Health.  Yet when its time to face reality and lose a loved one to a hard, long and tough fight against cancer, it takes a personal meaning. I go to work thinking, today there is a possibility of a breakthrough against leukemia, breast cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer, etc. You name it. Just one step ahead is a step closer to erradicating this evil killer.

Also, knowing I can be a voice for those who cannot express themselves on research against cancer, is a reward worth working for. Knowing the studies I work for focus on minorities, who otherwise would go underlooked at, motivates me to do what I do with pride.

Looking back, I cannot regret my decision on coming to Fred Hutchinson. I know the knowledge and experience I acquire from this interesting, never-the-same journey will just motivate me to keep on caring for human life. Each fight against cancer is a fight for life. I know we may not be able to same them all. I know we can only try one at a time, yet one saved life, a life won over cancer, is a life worth caring for. I long for the day in which survivorship becomes synonym for a cancer diagnosis. Meanwhile I will live "A Life of Science", doing what I do at Fred Hutchinson.

In case you want more info about the organisation you can follow the links bellow:

http://www.fhcrc.org/
http://www.seattlecca.org/

2 comments: